Craig Liebenson & Gray Cook Talk – Gray Cook Function – Gray Cook, What is Function?
This is the first in a series of dialogs between Gray Cook, PT, and Craig Liebenson, DC, in which they share their insights about the origins and evolution of functional movement assessment. Their discussion covers a wide range of topics from regional interdependence, the kinetic chain, the Prague School, to the SFMA and Malcolm Gladwell. In this Craig Liebenson & Gray Cook Talk, these two authorities discuss where the physical therapy and chiropractic professions are headed.
“Many times, we see dysfunction in the presence of pretty good structure. We also see people who really shouldn’t be moving and yet somehow, with a strong spirit and a nice swagger in their gait, they keep on moving into their 80s and 90s. We don’t have concrete rules of how structure governs function.” ~Gray Cook
• Introduction (0:40)
• Structure & Function Relationship – Gray (4:10)
• Neurological Influences – Gray (6:30)
• Reset, Reinforce, Reload – Gray (8:55)
• Predictable Patterns – Craig (11:45)
• Regional Interdependence – Gray (15:55)
• Checklist Systems – Gray (16:25)
• Paint a Picture of your Clients – Craig (22:45)
• Checklists Minimize Mistakes – Gray (24:30)
• Standing Where I’m Standing – Gray (26:25)
• Think Outside the Box – Craig (29:00)
• Teaching Function in Schools – Craig (31:45)
• Bringing Professions Together – Gray (34:50)
Gray Cook consults with professional and university coaches and athletes, and teaches on various aspects of physical therapy, sports medicine and performance enhancement. His over-riding philosophy is that movement professionals must first understand human movement patterns. He’s the author of Movement: Functional Movement Systems: Screening, Assessment, Corrective Strategies and Athletic Body in Balance and the creator of over a dozen DVD packages. His two main websites are GrayCook.com and Functionalmovement.com.
Craig Liebenson is a chiropractic physician and the Director of L.A. Sports & Spine, a pain management, rehabilitation & performance enhancement center. He is the editor of the book and DVD set entitled Rehabilitation of the Spine: A Practitioner’s Manual, and recently released the DVD series, Yoga & Ergonomics; Core Stability Training; & Functional-Performance Training. He is currently a consultant for the M.L.B. Arizona Diamondbacks, Athletes Performance International and the Boston Sports Medicine and Performance Group. He regularly updates his blog at craigliebenson.com.